Transfer and Visiting Students

Transfer students applying for admission to Durham Tech must meet all admissions requirements for their chosen program. However, some programs may waive placement testing if the applicant has previously completed college-level math or English courses. Students should consult an academic advisor during drop-in hours before taking placement tests or enrolling in courses. Also see the Transcript Evaluation section of the website.

Students currently enrolled in another college may take university transferable courses at Durham Tech to transfer to their home college. These visiting students are not eligible for course substitution, credit by examination, financial aid, or veteran’s benefits; and they do not qualify for academic recognition (President’s List or Dean’s List). Documentation of prior course work or testing is required to enroll in courses with prerequisites.

Need just a course or two before graduate or professional school?

If you have a bachelor's degree and would like to enroll in Durham Tech to complete prerequisites for graduate or professional school, review the guidelines below for visiting students with a bachelor's degree.


  • You must have a BA or BS degree; and
  • You only wish to enroll in a few courses.

(NOTE: Students who are not pursuing a degree at Durham Tech are not eligible for financial aid.)


  • Many students come to Durham Tech after completing their undergraduate degree. Typically, they need a few courses to prepare for admission to graduate school or professional school.
  • The most commonly needed courses are Anatomy and Physiology (I and II), Microbiology, Statistics, Pathophysiology, Psychology, and Sociology.
  • We want to facilitate the process for students who have a degree and need only a few courses. Therefore, we created an admission code (T90990PB) so that students will be assigned an advisor and will be able to enroll in the courses they need in a timely manner.


Steps for visiting students with a bachelor's degree who wish to take classes at Durham Tech without pursuing another degree:

Attention Applicants

NC RDS Residency Determination Service As of May 1, 2017, the state requires students to submit evidence of residency status when completing a college application. Students should use the Residency Determination Service (RDS) to complete a determination.

  1. Complete the Enrollment Application (necessary to be assigned a student number.) Select the Visting Student Post Baccalaureate choice in the dropdown box. Note that these students are not eligible for financial aid.
  2. Submit official transcripts from your college(s) by the following dates, for registration:
    • March 15 for summer classes
    • June 15 for fall classes
    • October 15 for spring classes
  3. If you are unable to submit your official transcript by the above dates, you will miss early registration. Please be aware that science classes fill quickly. You may still enroll if you bring an official, sealed transcript after the above dates to one of the following individuals:
  4. Post-baccalaureate students who have submitted their official transcripts by the above dates, will be eligible to add classes to their schedule during the second round of early registration (at the same time as Durham Tech program students with 17+ college credit hours.)
  5. Dr. Kurt Laudicina is the official advisor for post-baccalaureate students who wish to take some classes but not to pursue a degree.
  6. Post-baccalaureate students often request the following courses for graduate or professional school applications:
  7. Students must meet prerequisites in order to register for any courses.