University Transfer Frequently Asked Questions

What's the difference between enrolling in an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science program and just taking a few courses for personal or professional reasons?

ASUT students enjoy a range of benefits, from early registration for courses to eligibility for scholarships and recognition. See Why should you become an official ASUT program student? for more information about the benefits of enrolling in the ASUT program.

Do I have to finish my associate degree before I can transfer?

Students are not required to complete the AA or AS degree before they can transfer. However, many Durham Tech graduates have found greater success when they transfer to four-year institutions than their non-finishing counterparts. In fact, the average GPA for Durham Tech Associate of Arts and Associate of Science graduates after their first semester at a UNC university is higher than the average UNC System GPA for students who began college at a four-year university.

How do I become an ASUT student?

You can apply online.

Is it true I can transfer as a junior to a four-year institution if I graduate with an AA or AS degree?

Students who meet all other admissions requirements for North Carolina state universities (and a number of private colleges and universities) fall under the NC Articulation Agreement for Community College Students. In other words, admitted students who have completed their AA or AS degrees are to be considered juniors.

How do I find out who my advisor is?

Students meet with our professional academic advising staff to plan their first semester at Durham Tech. Students who are pursuing a degree will then be assigned a permanent faculty advisor during their first semester. It is your responsibility to make an appointment to see your advisor before registration each term, or whenever you want to discuss your academic plan. Most advisors post office hours on their doors, identifying times that they are available to meet with students.

What if I want to take courses that are not part of the plan of study?

Durham Tech students may enroll in courses other than those listed on the plan of study; however, these courses may not transfer to other institutions and may not count toward the number of credit hours required to complete the associate's degree. Students should consult their advisors before selecting courses outside of their plan of study.

How do I prepare to graduate?

Students should meet with their advisors approximately two semesters before they will be eligible to graduate to initiate the graduation process.

Is there financial aid available for ASUT program students?

For a complete list of scholarships available for ASUT students, view the financial aid offerings.

Can I get transfer credit for classes I have taken at other colleges or community colleges?

Submit your official high school and all college transcripts to Durham Tech’s Student Information and Records office for evaluation of transfer credits and completed prerequisites. Once transcripts are received in the Student Information and Records office it may take up to two weeks (10 business days) for evaluation to be processed. Evaluations must be processed prior to advising and registration taking place.