Financial Aid

Students accepted for admission to the college may apply for federal financial assistance, including scholarships, student work-study employment, grants or loans. Students approved to receive federal financial assistance should meet the following eligibility requirements:

  • Demonstrate financial need
  • Be admitted to an eligible program at Durham Tech
  • Have a high school diploma or a high school equivalency diploma
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be registered with the Selective Service, if required
  • Not be in default on a federal student loan borrowed for attendance at any institution
  • Not have borrowed in excess of federal student loan limits
  • Not owe a repayment on a federal student grant or loan received for attendance at any institution
  • Maintain satisfactory academic progress
  • Provide a valid social security number
  • Certify that the funds will be used for educational purposes only

Students interested in applying for financial aid should complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Be sure to include the Durham Tech school code (005448), so the college will receive your information. The application process can take more time than expected, especially during registration periods.

Applications or renewal applications for financial aid must be submitted for each academic year. The FAFSA form is available for the upcoming academic year after January 1. Students are encouraged to apply as early as possible for the next academic year, preferably no later than April 15.

More information about priority deadlines, the verification process, financial aid disbursement dates, academic standards, return of Title IV funds, and financial aid forms can be found in the Financial Aid section.


Curriculum students apply for scholarships in the spring for use in the following academic year. Students are considered for all scholarships for which they qualify. The criteria for eligibility and the amount of the award are different for each scholarship. A listing of scholarships and their selection criteria can be found in the scholarships section of the website.

Other Forms of Financial Assistance

Durham Tech has expanded its financial assistance for residents of Durham and Orange counties.

Durham ConnectFunds are for Durham County residents who demonstrate financial need. Each year, a quarter-cent in revenues generated by a Durham County Sales and Use tax is allocated to support quality educational opportunities. ConnectFunds may be used for some Continuing Education certification programs as well as for curriculum programs, in addition to high school completion and GED® testing.

Orange ConnectFunds are for recent graduates of Orange County Schools and Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools. An Orange County Sales and Use Tax is allocated to financial awards designed to assist individuals to further their education at Durham Tech.

Veterans Information

The Durham Tech Financial Aid and Veterans Benefits office assists students who are eligible for veterans educational benefits, including veterans, active-duty personnel, and members of selected reserves and the National Guard.

To be eligible for educational benefits, students must be admitted to a curriculum program and have high school and all college transcripts on file at Durham Tech.

Before paying tuition and fees each semester, students must first have their class schedules approved by their academic advisors and then by staff in the Financial Aid and Veterans Benefits office. Students are required to notify the Veterans Affairs School Certifying Official (SCO), via email, when registration is complete.

Students who are “visiting” from their home college and who may be eligible for veterans benefits must contact the Financial Aid and Veterans Benefits office to provide appropriate documentation.

Information about work-study, standards of academic progress, attendance, and conduct for students receiving veterans educational benefits, and course substitutions can be found on the Veterans Information web page.