The Food and Nutrition Services (FNS) voluntary program provides education and training opportunities along with job search strategies that lead to sustainable employment. The program is a collaboration between Durham Technical Community College and Orange County Department of Social Services.
To qualify, you must be an Orange County Resident who is receiving FNS or SNAP benefits.
The program provides:
- Career counseling and success coaching to help you create and succeed in your goals. This includes job search assistance with résumés, networking, interview skills, and job fairs to connect with employers.
- Access to funding to pay for tuition, books, uniforms, supplies, and mileage for upgrading your skills in a Durham Tech credential, certificate, diploma, or degree program.
How to apply
- If you receive FNS or SNAP benefits, contact your Orange Department of Social Services FNS case manager and ask for a referral to The FNS Employment and Training program. If you aren’t an active FNS participant, contact DSS to find out if you qualify.
- Attend one or more information sessions that interest you.
- Meet with the Durham Tech Education Navigator who will help you get started on your new career!
Past information sessions topics:
- Entrepreneurial Ventures: It's More than Starting a Business
- Life in the Fast Lane: An Overview of EMS
- Ready Set Go! BioPharma
- Durham Tech Options for Students from other Countries
- Journey to the High School Diploma and GED
- Be a Part of the Growing Health Care Field!
- Construction Trades Opportunities
- Upcoming career training opportunities
- How to engage employers
- The labor market and current hiring/salary information
- Possible career pathways at Durham Tech
- Short-term and stackable credentials
- Funding options
Call Orange Department of Social Services at 919-245-2800 or email OrangeFNSEandT@durhamtech.edu
If you are eligible, you will be invited to an orientation with E&T Employment Specialist who will assist in guiding you in training activities, workforce development programs and classes that meet your skill level and goals.
Read more in the article Durham Tech, Orange County form life-changing partnership.