Durham Tech’s EKG Technician program provides 60 hours of training to prepare students for employment as an EKG technician. Upon completion, students will be familiar with EKG terminology, the cardiac cycle, the heart’s electrical conduction system and how it affects heart function, anatomy and physiology of the heart, operating EKG equipment, and properly placing EKG leads. Students will be prepared to take the National Healthcareer Association EKG Technician Certification exam.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to register for this program?
- Completed Durham Tech Continuing Education registration form
- Proof of high school diploma or high school equivalency.
- One of the following:
- NCDAP Reading/English score of 136 or COMPASS Reading placement score of 70 or better (within the last five years).
- Proof of successful completion of Reading 80 or 90, or DRE 097, or EFL 073
- Transcript showing successful completion of a college-level English course (ENG 111 or higher)
- College graduates only need to provide proof of degree/diploma.
- Registration fee
Why do I have to take the NCDAP test?
The NCDAP is used to demonstrate your college reading level. A Reading/English score of 136 on the NCDAP is required for acceptance into the course.
Do I need to submit an official transcript?
No. Unofficial transcripts are accepted. If you are a Durham Tech student, please get your transcript from the Student Information and Records Office at least one day prior to submitting your paperwork.
How much does the NHA exam cost? Where can I take it?
The exam fee is $115. Once you have completed the program, you may register for the exam at nhanow.com. Students must successfully pass the course with a score of 80 percent or better to sit for the NHA Exam. Durham Tech students may take the test at the college’s Northgate Mall location.
How much does the program cost?
Registration fee: $236.25
NHA Exam fee: $115
Total estimated program cost: $351.25*
*The cost of the required textbooks is not included in the tuition. Fees subject to change.
What forms of payment are accepted?
- American Express, Visa, Master Card, or Discover
- Personal or company check
- Money order
- Third-Party authorization letter
- Cash (accepted only at the Cashier’s Office, White Building entrance foyer, Main Campus, Building 1.)
What is the process if an agency (vocational rehabilitation, JOCCA, or WIOA) is paying for my course and/or books?
You must provide a copy of the authorization to pay letter from the agency along with your registration form. Registrations are not accepted if we do not have the letter of authorization. If you are receiving assistance for your books, you will also need to submit an authorization to pay letter to the Durham Tech Bookstore.
What if I still have questions?
Our Allied Health staff is happy to answer any questions you may have or assist you in registering for the program. For additional information, call 919-536-7222, ext. 4313.